Thursday, February 21, 2013

Replacing the Grocery Store Challenge Day 1

The first day of our challenge are you ready? Remember we are all in this together, this is all new to me as well. 

Day One - Foods I Consume and Foods I Wish to Consume
Okay, lets think about all the fruits and vegetables we buy at the grocery store.
 
My list just off the top of my head would be very long, some big ones are-
apples, strawberries, zucchini, kale, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower.
 
Now we need to write down what we normally buy, and write down what we would like to eat more of.
 
First column is what you normally eat and the second column is for what you would like to eat more of.
 
If you eat a lot of apples than this would go in the first column.
If you like carrots but really don't eat it very often write it down in the second column.
 
Remember we are growing a garden that we can live on daily, make sure you are staying focused on what your family eats!
 
We are trying to make this a garden you will be proud to eat from. We are trying to cut down our grocery bills, and shopping trips.
 
Also she says to make sure you have foods that hold up well. We will be stocking up for the year maybe longer and we want things to taste good and not go bad.
 
Lets make the best out of our garden this year. Read up on what you can grow in your area as well, and what you can stock up on when it hits the sales. Always check with local farmers before you go to the stores, this can really save your family  a lot.
 
I will drive about 2 hrs north for good Organic apples this year to can, I don't have a apple tree. I do know that my area can handle lots of other things so that's what I will plant in my family garden.  
 
Remember not to waste any garden space, maybe skip some of the flowers for tomatoes plants this year:)
 
I will have my list up in the morning to share with all of you, I would love to hear what your doing?
 
Day 2 will require some math skills:) I will be posting day 2 in a couple of days or sooner.
 
Thanks again to Our Simple Farm for this great idea.
 
Blessings,
Pamela
 
 
 
 


No comments: